Margo describes her design work as eclectic, unusual, and
functional; and in this video she demonstrates how her workspace reflects the
mood of her work. The previous historic building's pest control sign
still remains from the ‘20s, and the inside walls are decorated with a large black-and-white whimsical mural representing the outside scenery of freeway overpasses. The space contains a library filled with colorful antique books, which Margo mentioned was one of her favorite parts of the space.
Margo wanted her company's workspace to promote collaboration. The
video pans around the workspace to show the openness of the space, where previous walls were torn down and barriers such as cubicles were purposely eliminated, allowing designers to be free to exchange ideas in close proximity to one another an almost coffee-shop-like atmosphere. Margo’s office is above the workspace in a
kind of loft, where she can still hear and see
everyone down below.
The YouTube clip caused me to think about my own workspace and creative process. My current
workspace is disheveled and unattractive. At least in my case, my workspace is an accurate reflection of my current
work, which Margo said was important. Margo
would probably love the hundreds of books I have, but they are more in large piles
than in a fun, cute library like hers. Also, I was struck by the
importance Margo placed on collaboration.
Social skills are not my strong suit, and I thought maybe studying
graphic design would be a way to avoid the interaction that I’m afraid of,
but working with others is something I need to improve on and practice because apparently I’m not
off the hook in this regard, even as a graphic designer.
I liked the Chase Design Group workspace, and the idea of collaborating in an
environment filled with creative people -- who seemed nice and people I’d want
to work with, like Elaine -- was actually surprisingly appealing.
No comments:
Post a Comment