In this YouTube, Doug Powell discusses IBM design thinking
principles. Though he admits design
thinking has been used for quite some time, he believes the fundamental
assumptions of design theory -- the importance of empathy, collaboration,
prototype, and iteration -- have been reinvented and rearticulated in new,
exciting ways by IBM.
Three principles he mentions in this rearticulation of
design thinking by IBM are the focus on users and their needs above anyone
else, multidisciplinary teams, and a term he calls “restless
reinvention.” He emphasized the
importance IBM is currently placing on users, seeking to “close the gap between
our assumptions and their reality.” The
redefinition of space in today’s world is not a single workspace, but a global
workspace and a global team composed of people with extremely varying
viewpoints and from different disciplines.
He also emphasized the importance of constant iteration (even saying
“iterate, iterate, iterate”) and when he described restless reinvention, he
said constant iteration is necessary for a modern, continuous-delivery model.
Powell said “the antibody of great outcomes is stagnation,”
and to avoid stagnation three principles conducive to movement and avoidance of
delay are reflect, make, and observe. He
illustrated these principles visually by drawing an infinity symbol and showing movies
of a variety of people drawing the infinity symbol.
Powell also outlined three management principles relevant to
the IBM improved design theory: hills, playbacks, and user sponsors. He said a hill is a statement that frames the
problem addressing who, what, and "wow." He
described a playback as showing the audience, not just telling them, as in a
demo. User sponsors are another way to
make sure the product is relevant and accessible to the users, as he continued
to emphasize throughout the talk.
I knew I was in trouble when the very title assumed
knowledge I didn’t possess because I couldn’t begin to understand a new
approach to “design thinking” when I had no idea what the default design thinking approach is. The jargon was a bit tough
to chew in this YouTube without context in the corporate environment. Google was my friend as I looked up design
thinking theory as well as many other terms that Powell assumed I’d be familiar
with such as “legacy project,” “continuous-delivery model” and “blue skies
project.” And what was with the post-it
notes?
The challenge for me was trying to make competent-business-people-directed vocabulary -- that seemed to me ambiguous and cliché without the relevant experience and knowledge -- meaningful and
applicable to my own little miserable attempts at creative output.
I liked that Powell too brought up the idea of space and collaboration -- I guess there's no escaping it -- especially as I had just been thinking about workspace in relation to Margo
Chase’s Silver Lake workspace. Chase
tore down walls and eliminated cubicles, and in our modern world, even entire oceans and continents are no longer barriers to global collaboration, as in the extreme IBM uber-collaboration Powell described.
I often feel lack of muse, so I really liked the idea
of a constant, flowing loop and the visual portrayal of a variety of different
people drawing the infinity sign. With constant reflecting, making, and
observing, perhaps the creative block I often feel could be avoided,
or at least assuaged somewhat, because I would never be stagnant but always in some kind of discovery process. I think I can be
more proactive in exploring the environment and gathering new information, not just passively hoping some
inspiration will randomly pop up.
No comments:
Post a Comment