Tuesday, February 23, 2016
Teaching to See
liked how Inge encouraged her art students to look at the
shapes of the objects rather than the objects themselves. Completely dissociating what the object is
from what elements it is composed of has changed the way I look at everyday objects. Before viewing objects this way, my mind would take a chair, for instance,
and dismiss it because I assumed certain
properties of chairness that I knew to be true. When I think of a chair, however, as a series of shapes and lines and planes and points, it allows me to truly examine it visually. This can be an exhausting but incredible process. I feel it takes me back to the
wonder of childhood, where everything was new and I did not have sets of
generalizations for previously seen objects.
I had to look at everything to see what it really was. Sometimes I thought I knew an object, but I didn’t, because I had never truly looked. This relates to the exercise we
did earlier in finding points, lines, and planes, which was also truly
eye-changing, because I start seeing little things everywhere. Planes and lines and points now jump out at me
wherever I go and I am rather haunted by them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment