Thursday, March 10, 2016

Extra Credit -- Sean Adams

I really enjoyed attending Sean Adams' talk on design.  I loved his designs, especially the intentionally kitschy design he did for a Mexican restaurant.  One would have to know principles of design quite well in order to seemingly break them in a way that would actually be aesthetically pleasing.

It was interesting to me that Sean Adams, too, experienced dissuasion from pursuing arts, though thankfully not from his parents.  Hurrah for hippie parents who let him do whatever he wanted, though I do feel most great minds in art have found a way to pursue their passions regardless of others' dissuasion.

One thing I learned from Sean is to experiment.  I found it amusing that he substituted his own head into pictures of family trees.  I think his experimentations encouraged me to try things in art just for fun.  I'm often held back because if I don't think it will be good, I won't try it.

But why not?  Why not just stick your own face in all of the family portraits just because?  I've tried a lot of random experimentation just for fun since his talk.  Why not try to redesign a poster I saw -- just because?  Why not make up an entire nonexistent campaign complete with a poster series advertising it -- just because?

At the end I had the opportunity to chat with Sean and I asked what one thing he could tell me about design was.  He said something I wasn't really expecting, but I hope to understand it better someday.  He said remember to not be afraid to fail, to go out failing, and to fail with gusto.  Failure and I have already been well acquainted, but I definitely haven't welcomed it.  Maybe he was trying to make sure I'm free to experiment boldly and badly, uninhibited by fear of an end result that looks bad?  Ah, well, maybe someday I'll figure it out -- it seemed to work for Sean.


No comments:

Post a Comment