Thursday, March 10, 2016

Field Trip to Urban Discovery Academy

The first thought I had when walking into the Academy was “this is legit.”  Designers, I realized, have an incredible power: the power to breathe life and personhood and identity and being into an establishment. 

One of my favorite pieces in the school was the mural in the large main room.  I loved the color choices.  One thing I've been thinking about is the power of a mark, and I liked how just a few shapes or marks in that mural were so masterfully crafted to give an entire personality of a little owl or face with only a few strokes.  I've been trying to figure out what the minimum mark I can make is that still captures the essence of a thing.

I can't imagine finishing such beautiful art in such a short period of time.

I was so curious how an artist imagines the personhood of a place, as I mentioned in the beginning, and brings that personhood to fruition.  It was a rare treat to meet the mind behind the design and to attempt to pick the designer's brain.  So often I admire things, like that mural or the fantastic color choices and fun feeling of the place, but I don't know who created it or what their thought process was in doing so.

As someone whose interests have often been belittled or considered lesser-than and not as worthy, I was reminded of the power of design.  Walking into the Academy reminded me that art can turn an abandoned, dilapidated, personless entity into a chic, sophisticated being with wit and intelligence and personality all its own.  In realizing what incredible, often overlooked power artists have, I was encouraged, inspired, and blown away by the power and beauty of design and intelligent designers who bring life and beauty into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment